As we have witnessed the history of Japan has always risen from ruins from second world war 2 or from nuclear explosions. But they mark their significance by adapting technology and trending lifestyles contributing to nature in its unique way. Toranomon-Azabudai district redevelopment is one example that will prove the contribution of japan to the environment and will be the Milestone for further redevelopment in that area.
Case Study of Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
- Firstly, the client: Mori Building Company Ltd
- Site area: 8.1 hectares approx.
- Ground area: 63,910 m2
- Total floor area-Appx. 8,60,400sqm
- Buildings: Residences (1400 units), offices (Appx 213,900sqm), retail facilities (Appx 150 shops), Hotel (Appx 120 rooms), International school (appx 14,000sqm), central square(appx 6,000sqm),cultural facilities (appx. 9,000sqm)
- Parking: Appx 1,880 spaces
- However, the green area: Total site green area 24,000 m2 Central plaza 6,000m2
- Also, the height of the Pergola: 43m, 6 floors below ground, 7 floors above ground
- Sustainability: RE100 international environmental standard; Japan’s first zero-emission neighbourhood; Aims to achieve WELL Building Standard
- Also, the date when construction start:5th August 2019
- Expected completion: 31stMarch , 2023
- Cost of construction-580 billion yen.
- Lastly, The Projector Executor-Toranomon- Azabudai District Urban Redevelopment Association
About the Team
- Core team: Founder: Thomas Heatherwick
- Group Leader: Neil Hubbard
- Project Leader: Michael Lewis
- Project Manager: Etienne de Vader
Development Time Line
- March 1989: Establishment of the Council of Redeveloping Cities (GazenbouDistrict)
- May 1989: Establishment of the Council of Redeveloping Cities (Hachiman-choDistrict)
- December 1989: Establishment of the Council of Redeveloping Cities (SengokuyamaDistrict)
- February 1993: Establishment of Toranomon-Azabudai District Urban Redevelopment Preparations Committee
- July 2014: Expansion of Toranomon-Azabudai District Urban Redevelopment Preparations Committee area
- October 2014: First Tokyo National Strategy Special Zone Conference
- December 2016: Proposal of the City Plan
- September 2017: Approval of the City Plan (Designated based on the Law of National Strategic Special Zone)
- March 2018: Approval of the establishment of Toranomon-Azabudai District Urban Redevelopment Association
- February 2019: Approval of the plan of rights conversion
- August 2019:Start construction
Also, Read The Dynamic Tower – Life in motion
Location of Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
However, the Toranomon Business district, in the ward of Minatolocated between Roppongi Hills to the east and Toranomon Hills to the west.
The Toronamon-Azabudai District is a complex of three skyscrapers presently under construction in Tokyo. However, after completion, it will contain the tallest building in Tokyo, Japan. Also, this complex designed by the architectural firm Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. Moreover, the concept for the Toronamonazabudai district is to create a huge open space at the heart of Tokyo filled with lush greenery that will bring people closer together to build a new community this leads to thinking in a more sustainable way.
- However, the main tower, measuring 325 metres (1,066 ft) tall, will be the first supertall in Tokyo to be built and will contain 64 floors
- Also, the other two buildings measure 263 (863 ft) and 237 metres (778 ft) in height.
- In addition, accompanying the skyscrapers are a series of low-rise buildings designed to create a landscape pergola, designed by Heatherwick Studio meeting the visionary of lush green spaces experiencing adapting environment nearby.
Fusion of Green +Technology =Enhancing lifestyle at Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
- Firstly, the landscape in Stepped architecture plays an important role as a major proportion of the site, including spaces on top of podium buildings, will be covered with greenery.
- There will be more than two hectares of green space which will include 6000sqm central squares, creating a seamless urban oasis filled with the landscape, waterscapes and hardscape.
- Moreover, 100% of the electricity supplied to the entire neighbourhood will be from renewable sources, which will meet the targets stipulated in the RE100 international environmental initiative led by the UK’s Climate Group.
- This also will be Japan’s first zero-emission complex.
- However, people will be supported by Health (mental +physical), medical facilities, sports facilities, a food market, restaurants and the lush green environment of the central square.
- The client will also apply for project certification under the WELL Building Standard™ of the International WELL Building Institute™.
Also, Read Sustainably advanced tall building: Shanghai tower, China.
Concept of Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
Architect Thomas Heatherwick and his team come up with a green and sustainable concept which seamless blends into a wrecking ball vociferously knocking down the facades of ferroconcrete buildings, Redevelopment of Toranomon Azabudai district and converting it into the public mixed-used building was remarkably done by adding the concept of grid ion pattern and later on giving the elevation following the sloping form of the valley which helps to create habitable spaces like shops, retails, temple and landscape areas like courtyards (open and sunken) which merge with the façade giving it unique elevation and making it a focal point at the same time. Also, this will be a good example of using positive and negative spaces in the building at the community level. It will give liveness to the façade and make the building architecturally and structurally stable following harmony and rhythm.
Evolution of form through the concept
Grid Iron Pattern
Evolution of Wavy Grid Iron Pattern as per site slope
A structural perspective of Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
- Grid Beam helps to make the structure stable in terms of the lateral moment as Tokyo falls in magnitude greater than 4.
The materials used in Breathable Roof Planted Pergola – For Example,
- Firstly, the glass -Gives a connected feel with open spaces
- And lastly, the Concrete
Summary of Breathable Roof Planted Pergola
Moreover, this design is one of its own kind giving an opportunity to the community to get connected with various aspects of people’s live-working, relaxing, getting together, learning, and playing will be seamless. Also, it will help to improve the lifestyle of people and give birth to a new community style where the environment /landscape will play a vital role in the construction industry.
Also, Read Taipei 101 – Asian Aesthetics on Skyscraper