Sabarmati Ashram was placed in Ahmedabad at the Kocharab house of Jivanlal Desai, a barrister. Afterward, it had been shifted to the banks of the Sabarmati stream. Gandhi stayed at the Ashram from 1915 to 1933 afterward the Ashram disbanded. Also, the Ashram may be a witness to several necessary historical events.
How Sabarmati Ashram established?
- Originally established within the Kochrab space of Ahmedabad on twenty five May 1915.
- Then shifted on Seventeen June 1917 to a banks of the river Sabarmati where Gandhi lived from 1917 to1930.
- then he began salt march (Satyagraha) in 1930 from ashram.
- Post-independence, the Ashram regenerate into a memorial designed by designer Charles Correa.
- Inaugurated in nineteen-sixty three by the then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
The most thought is that every building cluster in a casual meandering pattern, making pathways on that guests progresses towards the spatial relation of water courtyard. Charles Correa took the words of sage Gandi, “I don’t want my house to be walled on four sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want cultures of all the land to be blown about my houses as freely as possible but I refuse to be blown off my feet by any of them”. coming up with is analogous to homes found in villages.
It may be an outstanding building demonstrating the essence of design within the Indian context — open and straightforward, nevertheless expandable, adjustable, and humane. Also, his books, letters, and pictures, this modest and humanly scaled memorial use brick piers, stone floors, wood ventilated windows. And covered roofs to search out up-to-date expression for the spirit of swadeshi that take this building below the belief particularly, “CRITICAL REGIONALISM”. Critical regionalism isn’t merely regionalism within the sense of vernacular design. It is a progressive approach to style that seeks to mediate between the world and also the native languages of design.
The site on the Sabarmati stream bank is that the part of a larger building is advanced and it is integrated into its gardens. 5 interior rooms contain the gathering of the repository. The rooms square measure confined by brick walls and wood ventilated screens. All 5 rooms square measure a part of the 6sq module. Correa’s refined changes of the enclosure allow selection within the module’s lighting, temperature, and visual porousness. A square, uncovered, shallow pool is found between the 5 rooms.
Construction of Sabarmati Ashram
The materials employed in the development square measure the same as the opposite buildings within the ashram: Covered roof, brick walls, stone floors, and wood doors. Also, the sole additions square measure the RCC channels. Which act as beams and as precipitation conduits and which enable extra construction to be extra in the future. Moreover, no glass windows square measure used anyplace within the building; light-weight and ventilation are provided by operable wood louvers. The repository uses an easy however fine careful post and beam Structure. However, Load-bearing brick columns support concrete channels, that square measure each to support the wood roof and direct freshwater. Boards square measure nailed beneath the beam and tiles square measure placed atop the joints. the muse is concrete and is raised concerning foot from the bottom. wood doors, stone floors, brick columns, and ceramic tile roofs square measure the palette of the building.
Also, Read Alhamra Art Council- Aga Khan Award Winner
- Square grid –Square is that the sacred form and employed where Vaastu applied. However, varied alternative shapes are derived from sq. like parallelogram (from 2 squares), circle (by rotating sq. towards infinity). A distorted 11×11 grid is employed and every sq. measures 6×6 m.
- Courtyard – As in Vaastu Purusha design, Lord Brahma resides which is why a yard or water body provides in the center of the building.
Directions According to Vaastu
- North East –Books as a logo of positive energy square measure placed in a northeast direction. Lightweight reaches around 3 am-6 am. Now is like-minded for jobs like meditation and concentration. Best fitted to pooja, yoga, study room. This half is below the reign of Ishana.
- North West and West – This can be the house of wind and water god that’s why restroom is provided during this region. And open gallery and ventilated windows square measure provided during this direction.
- East –This direction is dominated by the Sun god and as Sabarmati stream flows in the east and southeast. And believed the morning sun purifies water and water is germ-free that’s why building placement is consequently
- South East –Dedicated to the god of fireplace and snack look is plan during this portion.
- South –The office portion is in this portion south monsoon provides good ventilation.
- The South West – Dedicated to ancestors or Pitru. This a part of the building is for store or elbow room and therefore building entry and open gallery starts from this direction.
- Moreover, site entry is from the west along with famous ashram road north to west
Rainwater Harvesting System
A catchment area, that created atop each brick column with RCC channels to gather fresh water from sloping roofs. It’s one in all the foremost cheap ways glorious. during a town with growing vertical high risers, it is one of the most spots of Ahmedabad. Also one of the Indian cultures that meanders a horizontal plane to steer on in a peaceful and pensive method. The peace found there seems exactly as said i.e. evidently swadeshi. With a human-scaled Gandhi sculpture sitting in the courtyard it certainly reminds one of the importance that he conveyed to this country. When its construction, Jawaharlal Nehru described the planning saying “There is nothing pretentious here, is a very simple and lovely thing” and that is exactly what Correa’s design has conveyed.
Also, Read Aranya Art Center